Well, I can’t believe that we’re here. One year ago today my little man entered the world and what an awesome day that was. Watching him grow this past year has been one of the biggest blessings of my life. With the second child, time slows down and speeds up all at the same time. I spend more time truly enjoying the present, cheering on Nicholas as he reaches milestones and learns so much. I’m excited for the future, to continue watching Nicholas grow, but I don’t want to rush it. I love his babyness and I’m content to let him go at his own pace. Somehow the months still fly by ever so quickly and there’s a bit of sadness with that because this is my last shot at being a mommy to a tiny one.
Enough of the mush stuff (for now…). Here’s what the ‘birthday dude’ is up to these days!
- shakes his head ‘no’ and knows what it means. He loves to shake it for fun and to tell you that he’s done with something.
- drinks lactaid milk. The transition from formula to milk was so easy and so smooth. He didn’t care one bit that we switched.
- loves toys and loves to play. Right now he is very into balls. He loves to roll them and throw them all over. We have several toys that involve balls in some way (ball popper, sports toy, Wack a Ball) and he loves all of them.
- loves to eat. He eats everything we eat. I never make him a different meal, which is awesome.
- points and grunts. Although he won’t even attempt to say many actual words, he communicates very well and understands a lot of what we say to him.
- loves to wave hi and bye bye. If he’s really happy he’ll say “haaaaa” and “baaaa” too (hi and bye).
- can stand on his own and he doesn’t need to pull up on anything. He’s great at balancing, too. If you hold his hand and walk next to him, he’ll take a few steps. But, he hasn’t taken any steps on his own!
- is very cautious and serious. The other day I brought him with me to pick up Gia from school. The director of the school is the sweestest woman ever and she loves Nicholas. She was smiling and cooing at him and he would not crack a smile for her at all.
- is still not a great sleeper. Between his sickness last month and teething, he’s still having a tough time of it. He’s up at least 2 times a night. Sometimes he goes right back to sleep and other times he cries and it takes a long time to calm him down and get him back to bed. He ends up with us a lot of nights.
- has his 2 upper molars and the bottom 2 are ready to break through any day now.
- loves books–especially the touch and feel ones. He brings them to you to read to him and he’ll flip through the pages by himself.
- still has major separation anxiety. It definitely got worse since we’ve been away. He was fine with my mom the entire time we were gone, but now that we’re back he watches me like a hawk and I cannot leave the room without him crying. I think he’s afraid I’m going leave for a long time again. Last night my in-laws watched him while I took Gia to dance and he screamed for 2 hours straight, just looking at the door, waiting for me to come back. I can’t even put him to bed at night because he won’t let me put him in his crib. He cries and clings to me (Jon has been doing bedtime). I know this will pass, but it’s breaking my heart in the meantime.
- no official stats yet, as his doctor appointment is next week. I’m guessing he’s about 22 lbs. He eats like champ but isn’t very chubby at all.
12 Months of Nicholas!
Nicholas, it’s a joy being your mommy. You are the most lovable child in the world and I can’t imagine our lives without you. Happy birthday, sweet boy!