Before I got married I didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to St. Patrick’s Day. I’m not Irish and I don’t drink beer…so that was the end of that! But then I got married –and my husband who 50% Irish. I suddenly found myself eating my Italian mother in law’s corned beef and cabbage. She’s a great cook but not much of a baker, so I wanted to bring some soda bread over for the meal. I made my first loaf of Irish Soda bread and it was delicious but very crumbly. I tried again the next year and still couldn’t get the texture quite right. So I scrapped the whole thing and I tried out a recipe for Irish Soda Bread muffins. They were delicious and so much easier to make!
Now that I’ve perfected it, I couldn’t wait to share my recipe. It’s super easy and doesn’t call for buttermilk (who ever has buttermilk on hand?! Not me!). These muffins are the perfect breakfast or side with any Irish meal!
Irish Soda Bread Muffins
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup currants or raisins
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 egg
- 6 oz Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line muffin tin with paper liners (12).
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, currants/raisins, and caraway seeds.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt, vegetable oil, and orange zest until the mixture is smooth and well-combined.
- Gently combine wet ingredients and the dry ingredients, mixing just until the batter comes together. Do not over mix. The batter will be very thick.
- Spoon the batter into muffin cups, dividing evenly between the 12 cups.
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes, until they’re starting to turn golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let muffins cool for 5 minutes. Transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool for another 15 minutes.
- Serve warm with butter & enjoy!