Each year, as I run around prepping for Gia’s family birthday party — plan the menu! make the cupcakes! decorate the house! — there is moment where it hits me that we’re celebrating the fact that my firstborn is a year older. And of course, it’s bittersweet. There’s nothing I love more than watching my kids learn and grow, but with that comes more independence. And while I want Gia to be self-sufficient, a small part of me sad that she really doesn’t need me as much anymore.
When Gia was a baby I excitedly waited for the next milestone. As soon as she was sitting up, I wondered when she would crawl. As soon as she crawled I wanted her to walk. I know a part of that came from my sheer wonder at her progression from warm little bundle to fully functioning baby/toddler that I created, but part of it was because Gia is the youngest of all her friends (and my friends’ babies). I watched all their babies reach these milestones and was so excited to experience it with my own child.
Fast forward a few years. All of Gia’s friends were turning 5 and she was…still 4. And me? I was thrilled about having the youngest. It means I got to hold on to my little kid just a few months longer. Because 5 is clearly the beginning of big kid territory. I have memories of when I was five, so this feels like the big time. It’s the real thing. The first few years of her life were the opening act and now it’s time for the main event. And we’re ready–both of us.
In honor of your birthday I asked you these 20 questions, for the second year in a row. (Here are last year’s answers.) Gia’s answers are in italics. My comments about her answers are in plain text.
1. What is your favorite color? pink cause it’s so bright & beautiful (not surprised!)
2. What is your favorite toy? my horse that I ride on (Shocked at this one. She barely looks at this horse!)
3. What is your favorite fruit? cantaloupe cause I like when it’s so juicy and sweet (I didn’t know she likes cantaloupe that much.)
4. What is your favorite tv show? Mickey Mouse (This one is crazy. She’s not really into Mickey anymore. She loves Team Umizoomi, Curious George and some other show she watches on the iPad.)
5. What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch? cream cheese and jelly (yup! Also loves salami sandwiches.)
6. What is your favorite outfit? Dresses. I like long ones. (True!)
7. What is your favorite game? Candyland (She loves board games but still loves good old Candyland the best!)
8. What is your favorite snack? Chocolate animal crackers (She does love these, and Goldfish too.)
9. What is your favorite animal? Unicorn. I like the horn on top of their head. (I’m surprised she didn’t say horse because her birthday request was to ride a REAL horse. NOT a pony–a horse.)
10. What is your favorite song? Old MacDonald (This is also hilarious. She’s really into Bad Blood right now by Taylor Swift but maybe she doesn’t know the title to tell me.)
11. What is your favorite book? The Night Before Kindergarten (adorable book and she does love it, and so do I!)
12. Who is your best friend? Adrianna and Brooke. I like when Brooke’s silly and when Adrianna plays with me at camp.
13. What is your favorite cereal? Frozen cereal because I like the little marshmallows. And so does Nicholas.
14. What is your favorite thing to do outside? Play on the swingset. I like to climb the ladder that daddy fixed and go on the slide.
15. What is your favorite drink? Orange juice (also shocked. We NEVER buy OJ but she does love it when she has it. I thought she’d say juice boxes.)
16. What is your favorite holiday? Easter because I like the Easter bunny and all the goodies. (I guess she really loves candy. Forget Christmas, bring on the chocolate!)
17. What do you like to take to bed with you at night? ChaCha Bear, lovey and blankie (Lovey and blankie are still her faves. Every few weeks she has a new favorite that makes it into the mix. Right now it’s ChaCha bear.)
18. What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? You already did that, right? Didn’t you? Why do you want to do it again? (I had to laugh bc this question is so similar to the cereal thing and she was confused. I pressed her and she said pancakes. I was surprised because she LOVES egg and cheese sandwiches, especially when daddy makes them.)
19. What do you want for dinner on your birthday? spaghetti
(Funny story to go along with this one. The other day I was asking her what she wanted me to make on her birthday. Here’s our exact conversation:
Me: Gia what do you want for dinner on your birthday?
G: well, what do we have? I’d say spaghetti but I know we probably don’t have it.
Me: your birthday isn’t till Monday so I can get spaghetti. I can get whatever you want.
G: ok, then I want spaghetti
Me: with red sauce & meatballs?
G: no, no meatballs because then I’ll have to chew
20. What do you want to be when you grow up? A cheerleader or a gymnast (Hahaha! We haven’t even started cheerleading yet. But she does love gymnastics and she’s very good at it too. Go Gia!)