Tis the season to drink hot chocolate! Everyone is my house absolutely loves hot chocolate but I don’t usually buy instant hot chocolate, much to their dismay. Why? Because I like to call instant hot chocolate ‘chemicals in a cup’ because…well..that’s what it is. The powder has yummy ingredients like dipotassium phosphate and carrageenan. I don’t know about you but I LOVE putting those things in my hot chocolate when I make it from scratch! 😉
So I was on the hunt to find the easiest and yummiest hot chocolate recipe I could find. While I’m sure recipes with sweetened condensed milk or melted chocolate are absolutely scrumptious, I don’t have time for that when it’s 15 minutes before bedtime and Gia is begging for a cup of chocolatey goodness.
So I tried a few recipes and here’s the best and easiest I’ve come up with. You probably even have these ingredients on hand.
Hot Chocolate For Two
- 16 oz milk (any kind will do)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
1.Using a whisk, mix together the cocoa, sugar, salt, and about 2 tablespoons milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until cocoa and sugar are dissolved.
2. Whisk in the rest of the milk and heat it over medium heat, whisking occasionally until it is hot. Slowly stir in the vanilla.
3. Serve with marshmallows, dress it up with some sprinkles, and enjoy!
Have a favorite not-so-quick-and-easy hot chocolate recipe? Share it with me in the comments!
Photo Credit: Stephanie Bond