Spring weather is (finally) upon us and that usually means the slow cooker gets shoved to the back of the cabinet till it’s time for delicious fall soups and stews. I don’t know about you and your family, but we’re busier in the spring than we are any other time of year and I miss having something to throw in the crock pot so dinner is waiting for us when we get home from dance, gymnastics, doctor’s appointments and birthday parties.
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken sandwiches are my go-to spring and summer staple. I’ve made them for company several times and they always get rave reviews. And the best part is that you only need 3 ingredients! Added bonus? The ingredients are all normal, no preservative, REAL FOOD ingredients. No cream of chemical soups. What could be easier?!
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 lbs of chicken breast (thick, not frozen)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup of hot sauce, divided (We love Frank’s Hot Sauce)
- rolls for serving (we use mini Portuguese rolls)
- lettuce, blue cheese and/or ranch for garnish
1. Melt butter in the microwave.
2. Put the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker and pour the melted butter on top of them. Then pour 1/3 of cop of hot sauce over the top.
3. Cook on low for 5 hours.
5. Once chicken is shredded, return it to the slow cooker. At this point you can add the remaining 2/3 cup of hot sauce. Or, if you are serving it to kids who don’t like spicy food, leave the remaining hot sauce on the side. My kids will eat the shredded chicken on a roll if I don’t add any extra hot sauce. It’s not spicy at all–just tender chicken.
6. Serve on rolls with whatever garnish you like! We usually do lettuce and then garnish with more hot sauce and some ranch or blue cheese. (Serves 4!)